Howard Community Clubhouse with its white columns stands sturdy and serene in an oak grove on a knoll just beyond the Forsyth-Bass Roads intersection on Highway 41 going north. The old 8 mile post once marked its distance from Macon. It was built in 1916 on land purchased from Charles Howard by the Bibb County Board of Education consolidating three one-room schools in the area. In 1927 the high school moved to town. The grammar school continued until 1938 when it was consolidated with Alexander IV on Ridge Avenue. Vacant for five years, the building posed a threat of vandalism and commercial invasion. Concerned neighbors spearheaded by Mike Whitman, Florre Searcy and the organization’s first President, Sadie Howard Cheatham, negotiated the purchase of the property. On January 27, 1945, Howard Neighborhood, Inc. received a State Charter as a non-profit organization and the building is now known as Howard Community Club. The organization has been a focal point for civic and social activity since WWIl and continues to enrich the lives of those living in the surrounding area. The building celebrated its 100th Anniversary on September 18, 2016 with an Open House .